SIMPLY HIS
SIMPLY HIS
SIMPLY HIS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SIMPLY HIS

CONSIDERING THE END OF THEIR CONVERSATION, JESUS CHRIST Heb:13:7

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Baptism what age?

Go down 
+2
jtheb
Anne
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Anne
Admin
Anne

Baptism what age? Empty
PostSubject: Baptism what age?   Baptism what age? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 12:14 am

what would you say to a child of seven or eight being baptised?
Back to top Go down
https://simplyhis.rpg-board.net
jtheb
saint
saint

Baptism what age? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baptism what age?   Baptism what age? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 5:23 am

Seeems a bit young to me.
Back to top Go down
M.C.Nige
saint
saint
M.C.Nige

Baptism what age? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baptism what age?   Baptism what age? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 1:03 am

Anne wrote:
what would you say to a child of seven or eight being baptised?
Hi Anne. Personally, I believe that if someone is young enough to make the decision to become a Christian, they are able to be baptised.

I've never been able to understand why a gap between becoming a Christian and being baptised seem to be encouraged? I get the impression from the New Testament that when people were saved, they were baptised almost immediately, e.g. Acts 2:41, 16:31-33.

I definitely believe that something happens after baptism. I became a Christian when I was 9 but didn't get baptised until I was 18. It seemed that almost as soon as I got baptised, the spiritual understanding started to come.
Back to top Go down
Elaine
saint
saint
Elaine

Baptism what age? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baptism what age?   Baptism what age? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 10:15 am

Paul writes that whole families were baptised, so I see no reason for age limits.
Jesus said that man needs to be born again, once of water (physical birth) and once of the Spirit.
Baptism is an outward sign of being a Christian.
I know people of all ages who have been baptised.
Some are BA, some are not. I think a gap is encouraged nowadays to discourage false baptism, though I wonder if sometimes it's the gap that encourages the falling away.
Back to top Go down
Janie
saint
saint
Janie

Baptism what age? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baptism what age?   Baptism what age? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Elaine I think the points you made are spot on !! Like you say , Paul said whole households were baptised, and we must assume that would have included babies too.
I personally don't believe there should be any upper or lower age limits, if someone is concerned that a baby isn't really of an age to decide for themselves then that child can always reiterate there faith later in the form of a *confirmation* ?
Back to top Go down
Elaine
saint
saint
Elaine

Baptism what age? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baptism what age?   Baptism what age? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 1:45 am

That is what all 3 of us did Janie.
Claudia was quite young when she became BA, and 12 when she was confirmed, or rather when she confirmed her faith.
Both Tim and myself were in our 30s, mostly because of falling away.
Sometimes I wonder "what if", but then I wouldn't be me, here & now, so maybe God had His purpose for things turning out the way they did.
Back to top Go down
Harleygirl
saint
saint
Harleygirl

Baptism what age? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baptism what age?   Baptism what age? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 10:59 pm

My daughter Paula-Jayne is getting baptised in November (we only do it twice a year) she will be 14. I was 33, Paul was 35, James 14 and Naomi 13. I believe if they know in there hearts they are ready it is fine, now in saying that my other daughter Jennifer is 9 and would love to be baptised, though I feel she is still a bit young in her faith and not sure if she is doing this because she sees other people doing it. She is doing a discipleship course in church for her age group, so I will see how she gets on with this then, we can talk about being baptised.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Baptism what age? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baptism what age?   Baptism what age? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baptism what age?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SIMPLY HIS :: WELCOME TO SIMPLY HIS :: Scripture Forum-
Jump to: